Bhendi Fry sounds similar to Bheja Fry. But it is truly a brain food. During childhood days, my mother used to force me to eat them, telling that it improves memory and so on. Its simple to prepare and a tasty side dish for Rice-Dal or Rice-Sambar
2 Cups Bendakaya/Ladys finger/okra (chopped)
½ Cup Onion chopped
¼ Cup Putnala pappu/Roasted Bengal gram dal
¼ Cup Dry Coconut (grated)
4 Red Chillies
5 Garlic pieces
½ tsp Mustard seeds/Avalu
1 tsp Cumin seeds/Jeera
1 tsp Bengal Gram Dal /Pachisenagapappu
1 tsp Black Gram Dal/Minapappu
8-10 Curry leaves/Karvepaku
- Firstly grind roasted bengal gram dal, coconut, red chillies, garlic into a fine powder, keep aside. Heat 5-6 tsp of oil in a pan. Add seasoning items jeera, mustard, Black Gram Dal, Bengal gram dal, curry leaves and let them splutter.
- Now add vertically chopped onion and cook for some time. Now add chopped bhendi to it and fry.
- Add ½ tsp lemon juice, so that bhendi doesn’t stick to each other. Fry till all the bhendis are cooked well & slightly turn crispy.
- Add salt, previously prepared powder and mix well.
- Serve with chapathi or as a side dish for rice.