Vegetable Rava Idly is a spicier version of the normal rava idly we prepare. The ingredients required and method is as follows..
2 Cups Minappappu/Black gram dal
2 Cups Idly Rava
½ Cup Grated Carrot
½ Cup Potato (Cooked & Mashed)
½ tsp Red Chilly Powder
Little Cooking Soda
½ tsp Mustard seeds/Avalu
1 tsp Cumin seeds/Jeera
1 tsp Bengal gram dal/Pachisenagapappu
1 tsp Urad dal/Minapappu
- Clean Black gram dal in water and soak for about 5-6 hours. Then grind it well and mix Idly rava (soaked in water for an hour) and leave it overnight..
- Next morning, add salt and cooking soda to the batter and mix well. Keep it aside.
- For veg stuffing : Take a pan, heat 2-3 spoons of oil. Add jeera, mustard seeds, black gram dal and little Bengal gram. Allow it to splutter.
- Now add grated carrot and cook for some time. Now add mashed potato to it and mix well. Cook for 4-5 mins.
- Add chilly powder, salt and keep for another 3 mins. Put off the flame and keep it aside.
- To prepare idly : Apply oil to idly plates and put little batter and now spread the above mixture evenly over that and again spread some more batter over it and steam it in an idly cooker or electric rice cooker ( as you do for regular idly).
- Now serve the steamed idly with coconut or peanut chutney.