Ulava Charu, a famous recipe throughout Andhra Pradesh. Actually, there are many ways of preparing this rasam. The one that I have put down here is the recipe frequently used by me.
1 Cup Horse Gram/Ulavalu
Lemon sized Tamarind
6-8 Garlic slices
6 Dry Red Chillies
2 tsp Jeera/Cumin
2 tsp Dhaniyalu/Coriander seeds
½ tsp Menthulu/Fenugreek
2 tsp Pachisenagapappu/Bengal Gram Dal
Fistful of Curry Leaves/Karvepaku
1 tsp Jaggery (grated)
½ Cup Onions (chopped)
½ tsp Mustard seeds/Avalu
1 tsp Cumin seeds/Jeera
1 tsp Bengal gram dal/Pachisenagapappu
1 tsp Urad dal/Minapappu
8-10 Curry leaves/Karvepaku
- Clean Horse gram and soak them in hot water for 3-4 hours.
- Now drop them into pressure cooker, add 3 cups of water and cook till 4-5 whistles. Strain water from them and keep aside.
- Clean tamarind and soak it in water. After 20 mins take pulp from it and pour into Ulava kattu.
- For rasam masala : Dry roast jeera, garlic, coriander, Fenugreek & Bengal gram dal separately. Now add 1 tsp oil to the same pan. Add red chillies, roast & remove. Add curry leaves and roast. Now grind all these together
- In a cooking vessel, heat 4-5 tsp of oil. Add seasoning items one after the other. When they splutter, add onions and cook till they turn transparent.
- Add turmeric powder, above masala powder and ulava kattu. Bring it to boil.
- When its boiling add jaggery and a lemon sized amount of mashed horse gram. Cook for another 5 mins. Garnish with coriander leaves and serve with hot steamed rice.