Vankaya Pullakura is a tasty curry combining brinjal, tomatoes, onions and some basic ingredients. I learnt this from my mother and she, from her mother. This goes well with steamed rice and any stir fry.
½ Cup Chopped Onions
1 tsp Chilly Powder or 6-8 Green chillies
6-8 Garlic Pieces
2 tsp Tamarind
¼ tsp Turmeric Powder
2 Red Chillies
3 tsp chopped Coriander Leaves
½ tsp Mustard seeds/Avalu
1 tsp Cumin seeds/Jeera
1 tsp Bengal gram dal/Pachisenagapappu
1 tsp Black gram dal/Minapappu
8-10 Curry leaves/Karvepaku
- Heat 2 tsps of oil in a cooking vessel. Add brinjal and cook till color turns slightly brown.
- Now add onions, garlic, chopped tomatoes and cook for 5-6 mins. Keep stirring to avoid burning.
- Now add turmeric powder, tamarind, Green chillies or Chilly powder and enough water.
- Cook till brinjal and tomatoes turn soft and 80% of water is absorbed. Now mash it into a paste that looks like chutney.
- Now, for seasoning: heat 3-4 tsp of oil in a pan. Add Jeera, Mustard seeds, Bengal gram, black gram dal and let them splutter.
- Now add Curry leaves, red chillies and fry for sometime. Add this to mashed brinjal and serve hot with steamed rice and ghee. You will definitely enjoy the taste.