This is a type of rasam prepared using the water drained after boiling vegetables, pulses or green leafy vegetables. The combination of vegetables & Dal or vegetables alone can be used for the preparation of this charu/rasam. Some of the good combinations are beans-turdal; beans-carrot; horse gram dal; cabbage-Bengal gram dal; Bengal gram dal-drumsticks; any green leafy vegetables. For now I have used Tur dal and beans. The method of preparation goes like this..
½ Cup Tur/Tuvar Dal/Kandipappu
1 Cup Beans
1 Cup Onions chopped
6 Garlic pieces
4 tsp of Coconut grate (fresh or dry)
1 tsp Cumin Seeds/Jeera
8 Nos Black Pepper
5 Red Chillies
Turmeric powder little
½ tsp Mustard seeds/Avalu
1 tsp Cumin seeds/Jeera
1 tsp Bengal gram dal/Pachisenagapappu
1 tsp Black gram dal/Minapappu
8-10 Curry leaves/Karvepaku
- Cook tur dal and beans separately and drain water from them into one bowl. Keep aside.
- With this beans & tur dal fry can be prepared (ref Stir fry/side dish sec or https://anilasfood.com/2013/12/19/beanstuvar-dal-fry/).
- For the kattu Charu, firstly dry roast garlic, ¾ Cup onion and jeera, separately.
- To the same pan, add a tsp of oil, roast red chillies.
- Now grind jeera, garlic, onion, red chillies, pepper, coconut into a fine paste and keep aside.
- Heat 3-4 tsp of oil in a pan, add seasoning items one after the other and stir for a while.
- Add ¼ Cup onions, turmeric powder and cook till onions become soft.
- Now add tomatoes and cook well. Add the paste prepared previously and cook till good aroma comes out.
- Now add salt, water taken after cooking beans and turdal, mix well. Add some more water if required.
- Add few pieces of beans and a tsp of tur dal that you have cooked. Cook till the charu/rasam starts boiling.
- Add fresh coriander leaves and serve with hot rice and side dish prepared using the vegetables used. Add a dollop of ghee to the rice for additional taste. Enjoy!!