Bhendi Sambar is tasty and delicious with rice and some side dish or just with papad. Try it out..
1 Cup Tur Dal/Kandi Pappu
1 Cup Bhendi (Cut into 1” pieces)
2 Tomatoes (chopped)
1 small Onion (chopped)
4 tsp Tamarind juice
1 tsp ginger garlic paste
2 Red chillies
4 tsp Sambar powder (MTR/Priya powder)
½ tsp Chilly powder
A pinch of Turmeric powder
6-8 methi seeds/Menthulu
Little Coriander Leaves/ Kothimeera
½ tsp Mustard seeds/Avalu
1 tsp Cumin seeds/Jeera
1 tsp Bengal gram dal/Pachisenagapappu
1 tsp Black gram dal/Minapappu
8-10 Curry leaves/Karvepaku
- Clean Tur Dal with water, add a pinch of turmeric powder and cook. Mash & keep aside. Add sambar powder, chilly powder to tamarind juice and mix, keep aside.
- Heat 5-6 tsp of oil in a pan, add chopped bendakayalu/Bhendi to it and cook till they turn slightly brown & crispy, keep aside.
- Now heat 3-4 tsp oil in another pan, add seasoning items jeera, mustard seeds, Bengal gram, Black gram dal, curry leaves and allow them to splutter.
- Now, add methi seeds, onions, tomato and cook till they turn soft. Add ginger garlic paste, turmeric powder, salt and cook for some time.
- Now add mashed dal and sufficient water to bring it to sambar consistency.
- When it starts boiling lower the flame, add fried Bhendi to it and cook for another 8-10 mins.
- Finally add chopped kothimeera/coriander leaves & serve with hot rice and any stir fry.