Munaga Aaku or Drumstick leaves are a rich source of iron, especially good for ladies. A dry curry or fry is prepared using these leaves and its a good side dish with rice items or can be taken with rotis or phulkas.
1 Cup Munaga Aaku/Drum stick leaves
½ Cup Tur Dal(kandipappu) OR Masur Dal(yerra kandipappu)
½ Cup Finely Chopped Onions
¼ tsp Turmeric Powder
½ Cup Putna Dal(Pappulu)/Roasted Bengal Gram Dal
¼ Cup Dry Coconut Powder
8 Garlic Slices
1 tsp Red Chilly Powder
½ tsp Mustard seeds/Avalu
1 tsp Cumin seeds/Jeera
1 tsp Bengal Gram Dal /Pachisenagapappu
1 tsp Urad dal/Minapappu
8-10 Curry leaves/Karvepaku
- First, clean drum stick leaves and add dal to it. Cook for 10-12 mins or till the dal turns soft, adding water (In case of masur dal, just soak it in water for 15 mins. No need to cook).
- Drain away water and keep the dal aside.
- Grind roasted Bengal gram dal, dry coconut, garlic, chilly powder and salt into a fine powder. Keep aside.
- In a pan, heat 6 tsp of oil. Add seasoning items one after the other. Let them splutter.
- Now add chopped onions and cook till they turn transparent. Add turmeric powder, dal and drum stick leaves. Mix well and keep stirring.
- Cook for 6-8 mins. Now add the above blended powder to it. Mix & keep on flame for 2-3 mins.
- Serve with hot rotis or chapathis. It’s a good combination for rice and rasam too.