Sorakaya/Bottle Gourd is a vegetable that can be used in both curries and sweets. We can prepare different types of curries and some sweets like halwa, burfi, etc using this. Here I am putting down one of the methods of preparation. Its good for rice or jowar roti or chapathis. Just give it a try..
1 Cup Sorakaya/Bottle Gourd (peeled & chopped)
1 Cup Onions
1 Cup Tomatoes
1 ½ tsp Red Chilly powder
1 tsp Dhaniya powder
Turmeric powder little
½ Cup Peanuts/Palli/Verusenagagullu
1 tsp Jeera
Fistful of Coriander Leaves
½ tsp Mustard seeds/Avalu
1 tsp Cumin seeds/Jeera
1 tsp Bengal gram dal/Pachisenagapappu
1 tsp Urad dal/Minapappu
8-10 Curry leaves/Karvepaku
- Dry roast Peanuts in a pan, shift into a bowl. Fry 1 tsp jeera in the same pan. Mix both and grind together, keep aside.
- Heat 5-6 tsp of oil in a pan. Add jeera, mustard, Urad, Bengal gram, curry leaves and allow them to splutter.
- Add Onions, tomato and cook till juices run out of the tomatoes.
- Now add sorakaya pieces, cover with a lid and cook for 4-5 mins.
- Add salt, red chilly powder, turmeric powder, some water and cook well.
- When the sorakaya starts turning soft, add coriander powder and ground palli/peanut powder. Mix well and remove from flame after 2-3 mins.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve with rice or rotis.