As a child, I assumed that biryani was prepared only with non-veg. I always wondered how it was prepared. It was exciting for me to learn the method to prepare veg biryani. I have put forward the recipe of veg biryani that I learnt through a friend. Hope you guys enjoy it..!!
2 Cups Rice
½ Cup each of Potato, Carrot, Capsicum, Beans, Green Peas etc. (your choice)
(Vertically chopped, except green peas)
2 tsp Ginger Garlic Paste
Fistful of Mint leaves/Pudina
¼ tsp Red Chilly Powder
1 ½ tsp Jeera Powder
1 tsp Black Pepper Powder
1 ½ tsp Dhaniya Powder/Coriander Powder
¼ tsp Turmeric Powder
2 nos Cardamom/Elachi
2 nos Cloves/Lavangalu
3-4 Pieces of Cinnamon/Dalchinni
2-3 Bay leaf/Biryani Aku
1 Cup Onions (chopped vertically)
2 tsp Ghee
- Firstly, heat 2-3 tsp of ghee in a small pan. Add vertically chopped onions and cook till they turn brown in color.
- Add little salt, chilly powder and ½ tsp ginger garlic paste and mix well. Keep for a minute and remove from flame. Keep aside.
- Now, heat 5-6 tsp of oil in a pressure cooker or any cooking vessel. Add Mint leaves, vertically chopped vegetables of your choice and fry for some time.
- Add remaining ginger garlic paste, coriander powder, Jeera Powder, pepper powder, turmeric powder and mix well.
- Now add 3 ½ Cups of water and bring it to boil. When the water starts boiling, add Elachi, cloves, dalchinni, bay leaf. Now add Rice, salt and mix well.
- Cover the cooker with lid upside down. Cook in this position till half the water is absorbed.
- Now add onions cooked in ghee, mix well and close the cooker lid.
- Allow to cook until 2-3 whistles. After the steam escapes, open lid, mix thoroughly and garnish with coriander.
- Serve hot with curd raitha and any vegetable curry/Dal.