I learnt cooking dondakaya after coming to Hyderabad. Till then I had not used this veggie in my cooking. I like this spicy side-dish for rice items. Hope you will like it too.
¼ kg Dondakayalu/Ivy gourd
½ Cup onions (vertically chopped)
2 tbsp Bengal gram dal/Pachisenagapappu
5-6 Dry Red Chillies
1 tbsp grated dry Coconut
½ tsp Mustard seeds/Avalu
1 tsp Cumin seeds/Jeera
1 tsp Bengal Gram Dal /Pachisenagapappu
1 tsp Black Gram Dal/Minapappu
8-10 Curry leaves/Karvepaku
- Clean Dondakaya with water, pat dry with tissue or napkin & cut them into thin vertical pieces.
- Heat 6-8 tsp of oil in a non-stick pan, add seasoning items and let them splutter.
- Now add finely chopped onions and stir. Add dondakaya and fry well.
- Stir regularly and fry till they turn crispy.
- Meanwhile grind Bengal gram dal, red chillies and coconut into a fine powder.
- Now add this powder, salt to dondakaya and mix thoroughly.
- Keep it on low flame for 3-4 mins.
- Now the crispy ivy gourd/dondakaya fry is ready to be served as side dish for plain rice.