Pesarapappu/Green Gram Dal/Moong Dal is a healthy lentil used to prepare various items, like sweets, snacks, curries, salads etc. Here I put forward a recipe for Moong Dal Payasam, a traditional sweet among Andhra households.
1 Cup Moong Dal/Pesarapappu
1 ½ Cups Milk
¾ Cup Jaggery/Bellam
¾ Cup Sugar
Elachi powder little
Dry Fruits fistful (cashew, badam, raisins, etc)
2-3 tsp Ghee
- First, you have to soak Moong dal in water for about 2 hrs.
- Heat 2-3 tsp of ghee in a pan and add dry fruits of your choice and cook till they turn slightly brownish in color. Keep aside.
- Take 2 Cups water in a vessel, bring it to boil. When water starts boiling add moong dal and allow it to cook stirring in between. Add some more water if required.
- When the dal is almost cooked, add jaggery, sugar, Elachi powder and mix well.
- Finally, add boiled & cooled milk and dry fruits fried in ghee. Serve warm.