This curry was prepared every now and then by my mom during my school days. Its good and healthy since all the greens are present along with dal. A combination of an stir fry would be sufficient for a ordinary day’s lunch.
2 Cups Kandi pappu/Tur Dal
2-3 Cups Aaku kura/Green Leafy Veg
(any of Thotakura/palak-menthi/chukka/bachali)
14 Garlic Pieces
½ Cup Chopped Onions
8-10 Green Chillies/2tsp Chilly Powder (as per requirement)
¼ tsp Turmeric powder
2-3 medium sized Tomatoes
Marble sized Tamarind
3 Red Chillies
½ tsp Mustard seeds/Avalu
1 tsp Cumin seeds/Jeera
1 tsp Bengal gram dal/Pachisenagapappu
1 tsp Black gram dal/Minapappu
8-10 Curry leaves/Karvepaku
- Pressure Cook Tur Dal, Green Chillies(or Chilly powder), Chopped Tomato, 8-9 Garlic Pieces, Turmeric powder, Aaku kura with 4 ½ Cups of water, till 3 whistles.
- Allow pressure cooker to cool and mash by adding salt to it.
- Now prepare popu/seasoning. Heat 3-4 tsps of oil in a pan. Add Jeera, mustard seeds, black gram dal, Bengal gram, remaining garlic pieces and let them splutter.
- Now add Onions, Curry leaves, coriander leaves and red chillies to it and fry for some time.
- Now transfer to the mashed dal and enjoy with hot steamed rice & ghee.
Note : The greens (aaku kura) can be any of Thotakura(amaranth leaves), Paalakura+Menthikura (palak+methi leaves), Bachali kura (Malabar spinach), chukka kura (khatta palak) etc.