Rice Roti is called “Akki Rotti” in Kannada and is so popular among breakfast menus across Karnataka. After shifting from Bangalore, I rarely found this food here. I had to give a try in preparing my favorite akki rotti by myself. It is good with sesame seeds chutney (Ellu Chutney) or Onion Chutney or just with a dollop of ghee.
2Cups Rice Flour/ vari pindi
¾ Cup Chopped Onions
1tsp finely chopped Green Chillies
¼ Cup Coriander Leaves
- Mix chopped onions, chillies, coriander leaves & salt in Rice flour.
- Mix well and add warm water (not boiling), mix thoroughly with a spoon.
- Make it to the consistency of chapati dough, leave it for 5-6 mins.
- Now take a polythene sheet or banana leaf (which ever available), apply oil to it, make lemon sized balls of the dough.
- Place each one on the sheet and press smoothly with fingers and pat into round rotis.
- Heat pan, spread oil/butter over it. Now shift the roti carefully from polythene on to the pan.
- Cook on both sides by putting oil or without oil.
- Serve hot rotis with onion chutney or simply with ghee, which is my favorite combination.
Note : Methi leaves/Fenugreek leaves can also be added to the rice flour along with all the above. Drum stick leaves or grated Carrot can also be added.