This Curry is a good combination for Rotis, especially Jowar Rotis. Its good with chapathi and also Ragi Balls [Raagi Sankati]. The mild flavor of Ridge Gourd makes this curry tasty with plain rice too. The method of preparation is also simple. Now let’s start..
1 Cup chopped Ridge gourd/Beerakaya
2 Tomatoes chopped
1 Onion chopped
¼ Cup grated coconut
1 tsp Ginger Garlic Paste
¼ Cup Coriander leaves
1-2 Cinnamon stick/Dalchinni
Turmeric powder little
1 Tsp Dhaniya powder/Coriander powder
1 tsp Chilly Powder (as per requirement)
½ tsp Mustard seeds/Avalu
1 tsp Cumin seeds/Jeera
1 tsp Bengal gram dal/Pachisenagapappu
1 tsp Urad dal/Minapappu
8-10 Curry leaves/Karvepaku
- Firstly grind coconut, onion, ginger garlic paste, coriander leaves, cinnamon sticks and cloves into a fine paste.
- Heat 5-6 tsps of oil in pan. Add seasoning items jeera, mustard seeds, chana dal and black gram dal and let them splutter.
- Now add turmeric powder, beerakaya and cook for some time. Now add tomatoes and cook till they turn soft.
- Add the prepared masala and cook for 3-4 mins stirring in between. Add some water to get gravy.
- When beerakaya/ridge gourd is cooked, add salt, chilly powder, dhaniya powder and cook for 5 more mins.
- Garnish with coriander and serve with chapathi, roti or rice.