Pearl Millet/Bajra/Sajjala Roti AND Sorakaya/Bottle Gourd Curry
This a special combination prepared on Bhogi, the first day of the three day Sankranthi Celebrations. On this day people prepare roti using Bajra or Jowar, of which Bajra is said to be perfect for the occasion. The curry combination for this would preferably be Ridge gourd (beerakaya) or Bottle gourd (Sorakaya).
For Roti :
1 Cup Sajja pindi/Pearl Millet Flour
2-3 tsp Sesame seeds/Nuvvulu
For Sorakaya Curry :
1 Cup Sorakaya/Bottle gourd pieces
(Peeled and chopped into ½ inch cubes)
1 Cup Tomatoes diced
1 Cup Onions Chopped
¼ Cup Dry Coconut grated
¼ Cup Coriander Leaves/Kothimera
2 each of cloves and cinnamon
1 tsp grated Ginger
6-8 Garlic slices
1 tsp Red Chilly Powder
1 tsp Coriander/Dhaniya Powder
¼ tsp Jeera/Cumin Powder
A pinch of Turmeric Powder
½ tsp Mustard seeds/Avalu
1 tsp Cumin seeds/Jeera
1 tsp Bengal gram dal/Pachisenagapappu
1 tsp Urad dal/Minapappu
8-10 Curry leaves/Karvepaku
For preparing Rotis:
- Mix required amount of salt to the sajja pindi and add warm water.
- Mix well to form an atta like the one for making rotis or chapathis.
- Now pinch a lemon sized amount of atta, press with rolling pin adding dry flour, so that it doesn’t stick to the rolling platform.
- Heat skillet and place the roti carefully on it. Sprinkle some sesame seeds on it and pat gently with a spoon. Allow it to cook for 2 mins.
- Spread water using a cloth napkin on the roti thoroughly without leaving any gap.(only one side)
- Now turn to the other side and cook. Check whether all the corners are cooked well.
- Remove from flame and keep aside.
For Sorakaya Curry :
- First grind coconut, coriander leaves, ginger, garlic, cloves, cinnamon and ½ cup onions into a fine thick paste. Keep aside.
- Heat 5-6 tsp of oil in a cooking vessel. Add the entire seasoning items one after the other. Let them splutter.
- Now add chopped onions and cook till they are soft. Now add tomatoes and cook till juices run out of tomatoes.
- Add Sorakaya pieces and stir well. Add turmeric powder, salt and mix well.
- Now add prepared masala, cook for 3-4 mins. Add chilly powder, coriander powder and jeera powder, sufficient water and cook till the ingredients turn soft.
- Finally garnish with coriander leaves and serve with rotis and Enjoy..
Combine these two recipes and enjoy your festive time. This is very healthy and a tasty combination..