Unlike the normal pappu/dal that we prepare regularly using tomatoes, green leafy vegetables or any one vegetable, this is a variation with three or more vegatables. All the vegetables or leafy veg that goes well with dal can be used here. Check the tomato and tamarind juice quantity accordingly while preparing. Enjoy with hot steamed rice and a dollop of ghee. Pickle and papad along with this will add additional taste to your meal.
1 Cup Tur Dal/Kandipappu
½ Cup Beerakaya/Ridge Gourd
½ Cup Sorakaya/Bottle Gourd
½ Cup Vankaya/Brinjal
½ Cup Dosakaya/Yellow Cucumber
1 Onion (chopped)
2 Big Tomatoes
3-4 Green Chillies
1 tsp Chilly Powder
Little Turmeric Powder
5 tsp Tamarind Juice
½ tsp Mustard seeds/Avalu
1 tsp Cumin seeds/Jeera
1 tsp Bengal gram dal/Pachisenagapappu
1 tsp Urad dal/Minapappu
8-10 Curry leaves/Karvepaku
- Firstly peel Ridge gourd & Bottle Gourd. Chop and clean all the vegetables with water.
- Clean tur dal and shift it to pressure cooker. To this add chopped vegetables (ridge gourd, bottle gourd, brinjal, yellow cucumber).
- Add green chillies, onions, tomatoes and sufficient water.
- Keep it on flame and cook up to 4 whistles. Open lid, after the pressure cools down.
- Add chilly powder, turmeric powder, tamarind juice and salt. If required add some water.
- Cook for 5-6 mins. Keep aside.
- In another pan, heat 4-5 tsp of oil. Add seasoning items jeera, mustard, Bengal gram dal, urad dal and curry leaves.
- Allow them to splutter. Keep it for a while, transfer to the dal & garnish with coriander leaves.
- Serve with hot steamed rice or as a second curry for rotis.