This is one of the traditional curries prepared in most parts of Andhra Pradesh. The combination is famous and delicious. It tastes awesome with rice or roti. Try and enjoy..
1 Cup Yam/Kanda diced
1 Cup Malabar Spinach Leaves/Bachali Kura
1 tsp Mustard seeds/Avalu
5-6 nos Fenugreek seeds/Menthulu
6-8 Red Chillies
¼ Cup Tamarind Extract (thick)
1 tsp Ginger Garlic Paste
Little Turmeric Powder
For Seasoning :
½ tsp Mustard seeds/Avalu
1 tsp Cumin seeds/Jeera
1 tsp Bengal gram dal/Pachisenagapappu
1 tsp Urad dal/Minapappu
8-10 Curry leaves/Karvepaku
1-2 Dry Red Chillies
- Peel Yam, chop them into desired sized cubes. Clean with water.
- Add salt, turmeric powder to this and cook for 12-15 mins or till it’s just about to turn soft.
- Drain water and keep aside. Chop Spinach, Clean and keep aside.
- Soak mustard and fenugreek for 20 mins. Add red chillies to this and grind into a paste.
- In a cooking pan, heat 5-6 tsp of oil. Add seasoning items one by one and allow them to splutter.
- Add chopped spinach and cook for 8-10 mins. Now add yam, ginger garlic paste and cook for another 4-5 mins stirring in between.
- Add the mustard paste, little salt, turmeric powder & tamarind extract. Mix well.
- Keep for 2 mins stirring in between on low flame. Serve with hot steamed rice or rotis.