This is a yummy snack and favorite snack for all ages. I enjoyed Nippatu as a child and now I prepare it for my kids. Happy to share this recipe with you folks too..
1 ½ Cups Rice Flour/Vari Pindi
4 tsp Jeera/Cumin
6-8 Green Chillies (finely chopped)
¼ Cup Bengal Gram Dal/Pachisenagapappu
¼ Cup Peanuts/Verusenagapappu
Fistful of Coriander Leaves
Fistful of Curry Leaves
- Soak Bengal gram dal in water for an hour. Mash peanuts using pestle (rubbu rolu) or grind it coarsely.
- Take 2 Cups of water in a cooking vessel. Keep it on flame and bring it to boil.
- When it starts boiling, add green chillies, jeera, salt, Bengal gram dal, mashed peanuts, coriander leaves and curry leaves.
- After a minute, put off the flame. Adjust salt and add rice flour and mix well using a spoon.
- Meanwhile, take oil in a pan and heat it for deep frying the nippatu.
- Slowly try to mix the rice flour by hand and make lemon sized balls out of it.
- Now press each one with a poori presser into a thick round nippatu.
- Check if the oil is hot and deep fry 2-3 at a time till golden brown.
- Once they are ready, allow to cool for some time and store in an air tight container.